How to use your Alpha or DSC camera to live stream using the HDMI port
Certain Alpha and DSC models will support livestreaming through the HDMI port of the camera. Some Alpha and DSC cameras also support livestreaming through the USB port using Imaging Edge Webcam software.
For streaming using the HDMI port, you will need an HDMI to USB video capture device, a computer with streaming software installed, and an HDMI and USB cable.
How to setup livestreaming via the camera HDMI port
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the camera HDMI output, and the other end of the cable to the HDMI input of the video capture device.
- Connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the capture device and your camera as a webcam.
- The livestream from the camera should now be seen on your computer.
- To provide better focusing, enable the following on the camera (if available):
- Face-Detection Auto-Focus: Navigate to AF Menu → Face/Eye AF Set → Face/Eye Prty in AF → On
- Continuous AF: Navigate to AF Menu → Focus Mode → Continuous AF
- Enable Movie Mode on the camera.
Things to keep in mind
- High quality, continuous video streaming may cause the temperature inside the camera to rise, which can cause it to turn off automatically until it cools.
- Review the heat specifications, avoid streaming in direct sunlight, and turn the camera off when not in use.
- If your camera can record in XAVC S 4K and it has the Auto Power OFF Temp. setting, changing the setting from Standard to High will provide a longer recording time.
- If you use an external microphone, then be sure to select the proper device in the audio settings of your computer.
- If the camera menu appears on the stream, then navigate to HDMI Settings → HDMI Info. Display → Off to turn off the display.
- If there are still face detection and focusing issues, then navigate to File Format → XAVC S HD to change the file format to HD (if available).